Women in construction are being continually supported by the HBF's Women into House Building programme

The ninth cohort of the Women into Home Building programme is here, offering a funded opportunity for women to gain experience in the industry

The Women into Home Building programme provides a fully funded site management placement, giving women experience of how a construction site works.

The Home Builders Federation runs the programme to help balance the number of women in construction, which has traditionally been a male-dominated industry.

Delivered in partnership with home builders

The programme is partnered with Pathway CTM and both national and regional home builders, widening the pipeline for the home building sector on both the smaller, local scale and the larger national scale.

Lasting three weeks, the programme includes one week of online training and industry insight sessions, followed by a two-week in-person work experience placement on site.

Recently, the programme was recognised at the Women in Housing and Housing Heroes Awards 2026, where it was given the Career Development Initiative of the Year award. This award reflects the programme’s achievements so far: it has seen 215 candidates through the introductory training and work experience, and 60 of them have been offered employment in the construction industry.

Recruitment for the next cohort opens today and closes Sunday, 20 September for placements starting the following November. Those interested can apply here.

“Extremely encouraging”

Andy George, director of industry attraction and skills at the Home Builders Federation, said: “Women into Home Building is expanding the industry’s access to a wider pool of talent while giving more women a clear route to explore the opportunities available in home building. By combining industry insight with practical experience, the programme can help challenge misconceptions about careers in the sector and give participants the confidence and knowledge to take their next step.

“It is extremely encouraging to see the programme reach its ninth cohort and continue providing women across the country with direct experience of working in home building. The range of opportunities available across the industry is extensive, and programmes like this help make those careers more visible and accessible.

“I would encourage any woman who is interested in finding out whether a career in home building could be right for them to apply. We look forward to welcoming the next group of participants in November and seeing where the experience takes them.”

Paige Farrier, a candidate of the eighth cohort of the programme, said: “During the programme, we got to learn about all the opportunities in the construction industry. I learned so much during my two-week placement about how a site runs and what it really takes, and that learning is still ongoing.

“I would absolutely recommend applying – if it was not for this programme, I would not have the job role I have today, working as a trainee assistant site manager. I love my job, the team I work with, and how much I am learning. Networking is so important, and this programme gives you that opportunity.”

The post HBF women in construction programme returns appeared first on Planning, Building & Construction Today.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

HBF women in construction programme returns
Close Search Window